Monday, April 25, 2011

THOUGHTS ON ANZAC MORNING

Red Gum - I was Only Nineteen





THOUGHTS ON ANZAC MORNING.

I am listening now to the sound of a drum
And the pounding of marching feet
As old soldiers step out once again
And march through our City Street.

The pride is still there as they answer the call
And they are holding their heads up high,
They're older now with bodies more frail
And I look and I wonder and sigh.

There are no Diggers left to mark this day ~
None that fought on that first Anzac Morn 
But still we remember them with pride
And cherish the medals worn.

War follows war and still we fight on
Looking for peace in our world,
Sadly my friend I think you will find
That the flag of peace remains furled.

The pattern is set to mark this day
And every year we celebrate
The Digger in his Slouch Hat
Marching side by side with his Mate.

The uniforms no longer fit
As young men have become much older,
The steps are slow and faltering
And life becomes much colder.

Relatives are marching for those who fell
With pride and love so strong
And the younger of more recent wars
Are also marching along.

Forgotten men of a forgotten war
But I don't think this is the case,
I look at them and feel gratitude
When I see the pride on each face.

So as this day comes around 
And year follows year
Remember the men and the women
Who fought both the war and the fear.

Give thanks for all who suffered
And thanks for those who stayed home
To keep the "home fires burning"
Army and Airforce and those who sailed the foam.

© Linda J. Vaughan
Anzac Day - 25th. April 2011



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thoughts are with our New Zealand diggers aw well today, they too have suffered lately with Mother Nature and her wars