Sunday, June 5, 2011

YOU NEED HANDS




Max Bygraves - You Need Hands


HANDS

I looked at my hands the other day
And was not surprised to see,
That they are growing older
Along with the rest of me.

They have served me well 
And it made me really ponder.
About all the things my hands have done,
I sit and reflect with wonder.

They have made snowmen and scarecrows,
Made daisy chains and more
Thrown the last pound note into the fire
And made my Mothers heart sore.

Held the reins of a feisty horse
As I felt the wind in my hair,
Stroked my Grandfathers forehead
As he sat and wept in his chair.

Pulled weeds from my garden
And pruned the roses fair.
Held the handles of a bicycle,
Knitted a jumper to wear.

Sewn a wedding dress and veil to wear
Made cakes and meals galore.
Held other hands to show I care.
And there is so much more.

Tenderly held my babies 
And touched their tender skin.
Wiped their tears and noses
And used many a nappy pin.

Signed cheques and counted money,
Written letters by the score.
And when friends have been in trouble
They have knocked upon their door.

And oh the hours they have spent 
On typewriter and keyboard.
Busy clicking time away 
And finding my reward

They have held the steering wheel 
And changed the gears,
Driving has given such pleasure
Over all the years.

Over years they have dialled and held
A telephone  - a door to the world.
They have brushed my daughters’ hair
Plaited, braided and curled.

They have washed and ironed
And sewn many a dress.
Made many a story tale costume,
Cleaned up many a mess.

Finger plays and glove puppets
And games that children play,
Made doll clothes and sewn bears,
Cat’s Cradle at end of day.

They have taken little hands in theirs
And kept them safe indeed
Walked across the busy roads
And met most every need.

Other hands have sought them
To hold them tenderly
And these are the times
That stir my memory.

Stir me to think with gratitude
That older  these hand may be
They have brought special joys
To others and to me.

As I look at my hands I think they're fine ~
They are practical and very caring.
And I am glad for the deeds they’ve done 
The touching, the giving the sharing.

© Linda J. Vaughan

No comments: