Monday, January 30, 2012

A LETTER TO AN IRAQI MOTHER


This letter was written just after the war in Iraq commenced - I had protested by letter, email and by marching with thousands of people against this,  and as a Mother I wondered how I would be able to comfort my children.  My own children were grown but were distressed and I could feel the pain that so many Mothers must have been feeling.




A LETTER TO AN IRAQI MOTHER

Dear Iraqi Mother,
As your children go to sleep
Do you cover them and wonder,
And do you stand and weep?

Does fear race through your mind
And is your Mother heart so sore
As you try to explain to them
The reasons for this war?

I am a Mother too
With little ones at my knee,
And I am very troubled
With this picture that I see.

It is so wrong and painful
And shattering to the core!
We are caught in the middle
Of another senseless war.

Your children must be frightened
And struggling to go on,
What will be the effect on them
When this battle is done?

I wish that I could hold them
And chase away their fears,
I wish that I could be with you
To wipe away your tears.

I carry you in my heart
From this side of the World,
And pray that soon we both shall see
Freedoms peaceful flag unfurled.


© Linda J. Vaughan
Sunday 23rd. March 2003


No comments: