Friday, January 27, 2012

TWENTY TWO SOCKS



TWENTY TWO SOCKS

When I saw these socks on the line
I could almost feel the breeze ~
I remember my own clothesline
Holding such as these.

A little girl with sporting talent ~
A kind and generous little Miss.
Which is the very reason
My clothesline looked like this.

"My Mum will do the washing "
She's good at that you see."
And so the little darling
Brought the uniforms to me.

Eleven sports skirts on my line
Eleven t-shirts in burgundy and gold
Twenty two socks pegged out to dry
This was a sight to behold. !

This happened every Saturday
Throughout the sporting season
And I would get quite thoughtful
Wondering about rhyme and reason
.
Whose were the feet and what path would they tread,
What would their lives hold in store?
Would there be brambles and storms
Or a safe and welcoming shore?

I carried them all in my mother heart
And prayed for a fair game of life
I asked that they all be kept safe ~
Free from harm and from strife.

©    Linda. J. Vaughan
16th. April 2005

No comments: