Monday, February 13, 2012

MARKET FRESH



MARKET FRESH

Shopping at the Supermart
Is most convenient.
It’s clean and tidy, neat and bright
And money quickly spent.

Fruit and flowers and vegetables,
Pasta and sauces and more
But the Market’s the place for me
Of this I am so sure.

I love to walk up and down the aisles
To look and smell and taste.
Exotic fruits and vegetables ~
It can’t be done in haste.

The fragrance of coffees, cheeses and such,
Onions, cauliflower, broccoli and more.
Ginger and mango, passionfruit and peaches
Some brought from a foreign shore.

Garlic, tomatoes, strawberries fresh
Cucumber, lettuce and peas.
Beans and radish, celery and cabbage
Herbs to enhance the flavour of these.

Carrots, zucchini and parsnip and pumpkin
Apples, bananas and purple aubergine.
Pineapple, watermelon and pawpaw
And grapes that are purple and green.

Continental meats and salamis all strung
And hanging in a row ~sliced as you will.
Bacon and ham from the bone, sausages too
Many little treats for all to taste at will.

Every kind of fish you could imagine
Cutlets, some filleted and some whole.
Prawns and crabs and crayfish
Octopus and whiting and some sole.

Chicken and turkey, pheasant and quail
Exotic poultry such as you please.
Kangaroo and venison ~
An acquired taste for these.

Sweets from England and Indian teas,
Spices and tastes so sublime.
Cashews and peanuts and pecan nuts too
Coffees from a distant clime.

Cakes and tortes and delicious gateaux
Pastries and such sweet delights.
Chocolates, and candies and jellies and toffee
All part of the wonderful sights.

So when I visit the market I like to take my time
To drink in the sights and the pleasure.
The aromas and fragrance and sounds
I store these in my memory treasure.

Visiting the market with its hustle and bustle
Is like a world tour to me. I journey and I find
That I can tour distant shores and places
In the Market of my Mind.

© Linda J. Vaughan

No comments: