Friday, January 16, 2015

THE PASSING OF THE YEARS






THE PASSING OF THE YEARS 

I’ve done some thinking lately
And it somehow frightens me,
Just how the years are passing
And the changes that I see.

My body tells me I am older
But in my mind I am still a girl
Taking on the world’s great problems
With a flourish and a swirl.

I still have a sense of justice
As I had once before,
It’s my body that is aging
In my mind I’m twenty four.

Marching in a protest
Standing for what I believe.
I did that again at fifty five
No changes I perceive.

Forty years have passed
Since I first gave birth
To see my “baby” fully grown
The greatest joy on earth.

I have passed the baton on
To another daughter bold
Whose heart so wide and open
The whole world it could hold.

Brown spots upon my hands
Oh gosh - Oh deary me.
That only happens to older folk ~
But it is happening to me!

I still feel the same about things,
And still love and think and feel
All the things I always felt –
But there are wounds which will not heal.

I still feel the barb of great injustice
To the people of the world.
I still weep great tears of sorrow
As another grenade is hurled.

Once I would have stood outside Offices
And told them the thoughts in my head,
But arthritis in my feet now pains me
So I’ll email them instead.

It’s not a glamorous business
This growing older day by day,
But I try to do it with dignity
And watch the things I say.

Yes I am growing older
And I don’t like it very much. ~
It takes me about twice as long
To do only half as much.

I still weep at nature’s beauty
And friendships kindly ways,
The dewdrop on a summer rose
Crisp and misty autumn days.

Birthdays at forty, fifty, sixty
All came and went away.
I really am quite grateful
For each and every day.

So as I look in the mirror
And see the lines upon my face,
I try to recall the things I’ve done
And the memories I retrace.

I am glad I have these wrinkles
They are a map of the years,
They tell the story of my life
Of the laughter and the tears.

So growing old is a blessing
And thankful I will be
For all the friends who have supported
And travelled this road with me
  

©  Linda J. Vaughan
26 October 2004

No comments: