Sunday, May 8, 2011

THE CHILDREN OF MY HEART

I wrote this today in celebration of Mother's Day 






THE CHILDREN OF MY HEART

It is Sunday morning and the sun is up
I welcome the joy that it brings,
The beauty of the sunrise and clouds
Oh how my heart sings.

It's Mothers day in Australia
A time to celebrate
Rushing round and cooking
Not wanting to be late.

The days for me are different
And everything is changed,
Life moves on and I find 
So many things rearranged.

No children in my kitchen 
Making tea and toast
It is these little things
That I miss the very most.

They have left the family home
And have kitchens of their own,
Their lives are very busy 
Now that they have grown.

I miss so very much of their lives
As I have watched them grow,
I watch them soar and make mistakes
And I know I must let them go.

I gave them roots to anchor them
And wings that they could fly,
I watch them as they journey 
And wish for a clear blue sky.

As the years have passed 
My children have flown the nest
And still I wish for them
Nothing but the best.

I try to be gracious in aging
And accept the care they bring
I find it difficult to be the cared for
When caring would make me sing.

I stand in awe as I watch them
Responsible in jobs and life,
And always they have brought joy
And stayed out of trouble and strife.

To the children that I bore
I offer these words from my heart,
You are no longer my babies
As you were at the very start.

You no longer need me to cook, iron and clean
You can drive yourselves around,
But in my heart you will always stay
Where love and joy will abound.

You will always be my babies  ~
I remember the times of your birth
Your coming into my world
Brought the greatest joy on earth.

© Linda J. Vaughan
Mother's Day 2011 - May 8th. 2011

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I miss having my children bring me breakfast the most.
Even if the coffee tasted like mud, or taken to McDonalds at 6am because daughter was working there, and the treasures from Michael who made it the night before because he knew he wouldn't be out of bed
Happy Mothers Day Linda